Sunday, September 9, 2012

College Essay


                                                                Kaitlyn Dacoscos
                                                                         Period 2
                                                                         9-9-12
College Essay
Topic/requirement: Write a 500 word or less essay that shares information that we cannot find anywhere else in you’re application.
Some specific topics~
-Future Goals & Ambitions
-Special talent or unusual interest that sets you apart from you’re peers or a significant experience that influenced you’re life.
Source info: (Admissions.uoregon.edu/requirements)
           
This stage in life is really difficult having to be dealing with school, family, friends, and people. You have to be prepared for everything that’s unexpected in life. This age we grow up as what we will become, so our decisions have to be settled in of better or worse but whatever we do it makes us as who we are. The day I have been brought in to this world, it has been the same day as my sister. Except were 6 years apart, so on her 6th birthday she was able to see her little sister come out. She was really blessed that she was able to have a baby sister and the most incredible thing is that for her 6th birthday she wished for a baby sister, I was supposedly supposed to be born on the 27th of January, but my mom was cleaning around the house and lifted one of my dads weights so she knew that I’d be coming out earlier since I was dropping. She went into the hospital on the 11th and the doctor said that she will give birth on the 13th, but my mom did not what that day at all, since it’s a bad luck number. Finally I came out and so coincidently the same day as my sister. Now Every time it’s our birthday we celebrate it together, even though we may not like it, sharing a room made us grow up. As years keep moving we thank God for this experience in life to be born on the same day. We know that it was for some type of reason because now if she weren’t in my life I don’t know what I would do with out her. We may always fight, but it’s a sisterly way to show that we love each other. When my sister left for college I made it as if I were strong as a rock, but in the inside I was weak because I knew that it be the best to her benefit to have an experience to go college in Washington and that I knew she would never leave me because she’ll come back in no time. Now that she has come back as a transfer student to go to UH we have become even closer and now that’s the outcome. She is called my role model even though with out showing it she got through many ups and downs but she’s doing outstanding growing up, working hard for her money and trying to get her degrees in physical therapy. I want to be smart and grow up into the real world just like her.
Being brought into kindergarten it was known as fun and games, but at Kapalama Elementary I was able to also get a clue in what I wanted to be when I grow up. As a kid I didn’t know anything, and the teachers helped us to know what we wanted to be when we grow up.  Questions were asked and so since I have a lot of cousins I said that I love being around little kids because not only because there adorable but they bring out the happiness with in me. I’ve decided then that I’d wanted to have a career involving kids, so they said I’d match being a pediatrician. From then on as of right now I would still like to become one, or at least something dealt with the medical field. From searching up every year the topic of what I want to be in life I’ve gotten to know a lot of information in the medical field. So my goal in career and academics wise would be to get the requirements for college expectations or even try harder to get above. Then after high school go to either Point Loma Nazarene university, university of Oregon or California and get into the major of medical. When I get used to it, by going school and working hard, then later get higher degrees for better pay in job wise. So that by the end every thing can settle and I’d be able to get ahead and life and just live it up to the fullest.
A really unusual interest that I have that’s sets far away from my peers is that, well I don’t eat pork because my favorite animal is pig. That may be weird but to me its not. What I hate is when people are so stereotypical and says you’re “Filipino you’re supposed to eat pig”. Honestly when my mind is already set to what I believe in or what I like to do, I don’t care what others think and so I either move on since it’s life or ignore it, because everyone is different in there own way and everyone believe in what they want to believe in. All in all it just makes us as the person we are now and what we will become of as growing up.
A significant experience that has really put an impact on me would be my summer of 2011, when I went to NYC which is a convention where all Nazarene Churches come together, get closer, learn and worship God, it’s only for every 4 years and it's for upcoming high school students and students in high school. When I had a great experience to go I was an upcoming freshman and my other friends were already juniors or even older. That year it was located in Kentucky, Dallas, and California for 2 weeks. I knew that on this trip I'd have to be independent since I wouldn’t have my parents to rely on. Knowing that I'd have to be with/ talk to people from all over the world that I don't even know, being a shy/ not to very outgoing person I was just scared. Also, I wasn’t too religious as others, that they would know more facts and information than me. I was apprehensive yet filled of joy to go, as then when I entered the door of the convention I was able to meet people from Ohio, Kentucky, California, Kansas and places all over the world. The feeling of meeting new people made me so happy, it wasn’t that kind of feeling where you meet someone new and its awkward, it was more like I knew them for a while. I could just be myself. At this convention I really had to grow up because you were all on your own in buying food and saving a spot to sit down, you’d have to communicate with you’re friends to work everything out. Lastly in the beginning of the trip one of the pastors wanted me to pray in front of everyone, but I said no because I was just to scared and nervous to pray in front of everyone, and I didn’t really know how. Then towards the end of the trip I said ill pray because could just feel god blessing me and the holy spirits upon me so right there when I prayed it’s like no one was there and I prayed from the heart. Now I like praying, I’m more outgoing and loud and I know to not always rely on people because you have to grow up as you age.
            In conclusion, I feel that when I was younger I was clueless and didn’t really care that much, and felt that was bad but realizing everything, it actually helped me into who I am today because at least when I was younger I knew what I’d wanted to be and it has helped me to know what I would like to do when I’m older. So as I’m growing up I see my actual priorities as in what’s expected in me for later on in life. Also that everything I do, I know to work hard and put effort into it because it would impact my life sometime and to be myself so that I wouldn’t have to worry about anything.

3 comments:

  1. Daaanngg . Your is so long!! So much to reaaaadd.

    Anyways, your essay was nice! It had a lot of voice & personality! Also, you put a lot of details in there. Uhm, you might want to read over your essay. There were some things you could add & take out. So just reread and watch your grammer. Other than that, good essay!.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kaitlyn, I enjoyed reading about your experiences that helped to define who you are. It was a really good essay, however I need to suggest that you go over your essay again. There are a few points where there are grammatical errors and there are a few things that don't really make sense. Good job and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to focus on one central theme or idea. You discuss too many experiences, stick to one and focus on that. Also your repeating your discussion about going to the national convention.

    ReplyDelete


Don't Wish, Make it happen =)